What is Picture to People ?

"Picture to People" (P2P) is a huge Computer Graphics project. It was started to create new softwares able to make 2D drawing, 3D rendering, vexel drawing, text effects, photo effects, image filtering and other complex Computer Graphics operations. It has been made from scratch, including its low level Computer Graphics libraries like Maccala. Nowadays, most final features produced for this project are released as free online tools available from its official website. This blog talks about Computer Graphics, mainly concerning Picture to People development.

"Only who makes has true knowledge. Knowledge is control. True power depends on total control. Only who makes from scratch has the real power."

Thursday, June 30, 2016

Apache web server crashes on Windows

Picture to People already passed through 3 outages this year. It's really sad and embarrassing, and it have let me very upset.

These problems were caused by an anomalous behavior of the Apache web server we use to set the site online. The main symptom is that Apache log shows the error "Server ran out of threads to serve requests. Consider raising the ThreadsPerChild", so Apache just hangs and stops responding the HTTP requests.

The worst thing about this bug is that rebooting the machine of even reinstalling Apache doesn't solve the problem, neither for a few moments. It makes the situation very nerve-racking.

I was using a Apache 2.2.15 32bit on a Windows 2008 R2 64bit with Service Pack 1. So I replaced the original web server for an Apache 2.2.31 32bits (last version of 2.2 series). I also tried the Apache 2.2.31 64bits. They were compiled with Visual Studio (downloaded from Apache Haus), but the result was the same in all cases: Apache got out of threads in a few seconds.

Despite I couldn't really find a cause of this behavior, it looks like if Apache instantiated all threads as defined at httpd.conf, but all sockets didn't return, so the web server gets "out of threads". I really believe it's a misbehavior between Apache and winsock.

I have tried many configuration changes to make Apache work as expected. If I can find a httpd.conf modification that apparently solves the issue, I will publish it here. I don't desire that anybody pass through the bad times I'm having because of this.

By the way, I subscribed to official Apache discussion list to get some useful help about all this subject. Sad to say, it looks like everybody at that e-mail list uses Apache for Linux. I received just one answer to my very detailed question, a very useless answer. As usual, people from open source projects are not really concerned about Windows users. It's really unfortunate.

If you know any solution for this problem, please contact me. This information needs to be revealed to the world. I don't believe I'm the only unlucky guy facing this mysterious problem.

 Subscribe in a reader

No comments: