I'm facing well the hard challenge of have my own font engine. Some of my very low level libraries are been improved to achieve this goal.
Some of the main problems to someone trying to make this:
- TTF file format is weird and complex;
- font hinting is a very hard subject and trying auto-hint fonts is even worse;
- some fonts are very complex;
- there must be special care to draw fonts in small size; it can need proper algorithms;
- you should have a very complete, robust, and fast rasterizer behind you.
Some of my pieces of code are being stressed, but I'm glad about that. In the end I'm getting a general improvement in several low level libraries, what will help me in other developments.
In time: be patient. I will show you screenshots soon.